Windows 7 beta and the beta nVidia Driver
Two words: Don’t install
This is what nVidia says and you typically get it through Windows Update. I suffered with the title bar going missing and ugly black blocks on my desktop for a week before I figured that the nVidia beta drivers were to blame. It looks like others too are having the same problem.
It appears on Windows Update as: NVIDIA driver update for NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS (Prerelease – WDDM 1.1) Optional
If you already installed it you can either Rollback the Update:
- Start-> type in ‘Device Manager’ and open it
- Expand the Display adapters node
- Double-click the NVIDIA node
- On the Driver tab click ‘Roll Back Driver’
Or you could uninstall the driver
- Start –> type in ‘Programs’ and launch ‘Add or remove programs’
- In the search box (top right) type in ‘nvidia’
- Right-click and uninstall the ‘NVIDIA Drivers’
After one (sometimes two) re-boots you should be all set.