Here’s a quick summary of how I installed the public beta of SharePoint Server 2010.
- Windows 7 64 bit: What this means is that your workstation needs to be 64 bit and you need to have the 64 bit version of Windows 7 installed.
The key document that you need to follow for installing on Windows 7 is this article: Setting Up the Development Environment for SharePoint Server
- This was installed on Windows 7 Build 7100
- I had UAC turned off
- I already had Visual Studio 2010 Beta before installing SharePoint
- You need to manually download and install the pre-requisites for SharePoint 2010
- You need to extract the setup (using /extract), change an xml file before being able to run setup on Windows 7.
The only part of the guide that I was forced to skip was #5 of ‘Step 3: Install SharePoint’
The reason was that the install for the SQL Server patch kept asking for the other files in the multi-part zip. (Remember to unzip the file even though it has a .exe extension)
Excluding the download times it took about 30 minutes to install SharePoint server on my Dell XPS laptop which has 4GB of RAM.
Although there is no guide published yet I was able to install Office Web Apps on my laptop as well, that guide will follow next.