Everday tips from MonkeyFilter
An assload of handy (and sometimes hilarious and asinine) everyday tips. Some NSFW. Here’s few of my faves:
- When you drop a small object, like a pill, DO NOT flail about trying to catch it; instead stand still and watch it land.
- Half the time trying to catch it means it bounces off you in some bizarre direction, or that you don’t see where it actually goes.
- Keep an old blanket in the car. It can be used for spontaneous picnics, sleeping in rest areas, and covering up the random homeless person who looks cold.
- To kill off weeds between bricks or in the cobblestones on your street, mix half-and-half white vinegar and cheap dish detergent and squirt it in the joints.
- Hot water in a spray bottle will get most small bugs off plants, such as aphids.
- A two-liter soda bottle can be used to keep celery fresh. Cut off the top and put a little water in the bottom, then stand the celery stalks in it in your fridge. Use the cut-off top as a funnel to fill your spice jars with bulk spices (way cheaper than buying them in bottles) - the mouth on a two-liter is about the right size for smaller jars.
- If you have to leave something (luggage) unattended and don’t want it stolen, try drawing a large chalk circle on the ground around it.
- Separate your laundry into their respective washload piles (whites, warm colors, cold colors, whatever) when you take them off, so you don’t have to bother on laundry day.
- When waiting for the tube, look out for the faded white line along the platform edge - it’s more worn cos that’s where most of the doors end up stopping.
Written on April 21, 2005