Getting Ahead in Your Career
Franklins.Net Sales Weasel Todd Follansbee has come up with what I think is a great read for all developers, and .NET developers in particular. This can be found online at http://www.franklins.net/YourCareer/YourCareer.aspx
Knowing how to get the technology and training you need is an esssential skill
You might question if .NET will help you financially. Here is a recent quote from Computer World:
“… there are certain IT skills for which companies are willing to pay a premium right now. On the technical side, .Net experience is perhaps the hottest skill, with network security experience running a close second”
Below are a set of instructions on how to convince your boss/company about .NET and training. You will find these skills to be helpful in a variety of areas. After all, technical knowledge is only one part of career development in the IT world. You need more then just knowledge and these skills will be of tremendous help. This is all free, as is our support. All you need to do is ask.
Traditionally developers make lousy salesmen so we offer a set of selling skills tailored for developers. We also provide the support tools to get training approved in your company. Here's how to figure out the pieces of the puzzle we offer. They all build upon each other, one piece alone will not get the job done. Most important is the PDF that describes sales methods which are perfect for developers. They are analytical, effective and require no hype or gimmicks. Download and print the PDF first and read it. The other support pieces follow:
- Selling Your Boss is a PDF that will that describes the sales method. Download and print the PDF and read it. When you understand the technique, review the two short PowerPoint slide shows
- Selling .NET is PowerPoint slide show that a developer used to convince a multi-billion dollar comapny to adopt .NET.
- Selling Training is a 3 slide study from that the American Society of Training and Development that compares the bottom lines of companies that support training versus ones that don't. The study makes dollar suggestions for training budgets based upon these successful companies.
- To accompany the training document, we provide a zipped folder of success stories from companies who came to us for .NET Training and went on to develop great .NET Apps (picture yourself in the next batch of success stories!).
- Lastly we recommend a number of .NET Rocks! Shows that: discuss .NET, compare it to other technologies, and review implementations and benefits.
If you spend the hour it takes to learn this content you will be well equipped. Call on us for suggestions and insights. We have much experience in the psychological side of selling to people. You may be surprised at the tools we can give you just over the phone. We won’t make a sales weasel out of you however understanding the psychological triggers of the people in authority can make all the difference.
Besides it’s worth the trouble. If you don’t, sooner or later you’ll be asking us if we want fries with that...